From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:20:44
1 On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 7:41 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
2 <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:27:14 PM Michel Catudal wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I've had serious problems in the past getting to to install on a partition
6 >> and gave up. Is that bug fixed? It insists on installing on the MBR which is
7 >> unacceptable.
8 >
9 > Yes and no, at least it can be a pain. I remember running into that and got it
10 > to work after several hours, unfortunately I forgot how. It may have been that
11 > it writes to both the mbr and the partition so you can restore the old mbr and
12 > still boot the partition. It also treats removable media and HDs different.
13 > It's hard to remember because I tried so many things.
14
15 You have to use "--force" but the grub developers consider using it
16 unreliable because you then have to make use of block lists.