From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 20:22:29
1 On 29/09/2013 17:41, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sep 29, 2013 3:33 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 [snip]
5
6 >> Exherbo might be worth a look too[1].
7 >>
8 >> It's a sort-of Gentoo fork using the portage tree and PMS; plus Ciaran
9 >> strikes me as the kind of guy who *would* expend massive effort to find
10 >> a way round current udev and systemd.
13 >> [1] I didn't look myself. I have no idea what Exherbo's stance is on
14 >> this matter.
15 >
16 > Exherbo recommends installing systemd [1]. Sabayon installs systemd by
17 > default [2]. Funtoo is considering running GNOME >=3.8 in a container so
18 > systemd doesn't "impact" the rest of the system [3] (which by the way
19 > looks like an interesting idea). However, in the same link Daniel
20 > Robbins says:
21 >
22 > "[...] from my perspective, I think it is simply so people can run
23 > GNOME. I do like GNOME 3.6. I like their new UI. It would be nice to run
24 > 3.8. I don't care about systemd. It is simply a dep of GNOME. That is all."
25 >
26 > I see that as being open to the idea of using systemd in the future. It
27 > doesn't say that they'll never support systemd, as others would. Well,
28 > users; for the people that actually write the code, the majority seems
29 > to like systemd, or at least don't have a problem with it.
30 >
31 > Anyhow, many in this thread forget that it was the OpenRC maintainer the
32 > one that proposed the change to stop supporting a separate /usr without
33 > an initramfs. If you use OpenRC, and have a separate /usr without an
34 > initramfs, and *anything * breaks in your machine, you get to keep the
35 > pieces. No (official) support for you.
36 >
37 > It doesn't matter if you use udev, eudev (which is the same, just
38 > emasculated), nor mdev. OpenRC will start assuming an early available
39 > /usr; that's why its maintainer championed the change. It needs it to
40 > actually compete with systemd. So even Funtoo will need the same
41 > requirement, unless they switch to runit.
42 >
43 > As others have said, this is not really related to systemd/udev. It's
44 > OpenRC, the "official" and (still) recommended init system for Gentoo,
45 > the one that is making the change.
46
47 Thanks for that info. I don't keep current with the Gentoo-derived
48 distros as gentoo itself works great for me.
49
50 > And about time, if you ask me.
51
52 Agreed. I myself fought this change in my head for ages. And changed my
53 mind for the same reasons so many other people have done so too.
57 Alan McKinnon
58 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com