From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:41:32
1 On Sep 29, 2013 3:33 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 29/09/2013 10:25, Mick wrote:
4 > > On Sunday 29 Sep 2013 06:29:37 Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > >> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 06:09:40PM -0500, Dale wrote
6 > >>
7 > >>> Most likely, I'll install Kubuntu to start. Then I may roam around
8 > >>> and test other distros until I find one I like. Thing is, I already
9 > >>> have a starting point.
10 > >>
11 > >> I'm already looking. http://forums.funtoo.org/viewtopic.php?id=2265
12 > >> and they also dislike systemd. I think I could get to like it. See
13 > >> also http://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-34
14 > >
15 > > Very interesting! This looks as a logical way to put udev back in its
16 > > userspace box and stop it breaking the OS, or did I understand it
17 incorrectly?
20 > Exherbo might be worth a look too[1].
21 >
22 > It's a sort-of Gentoo fork using the portage tree and PMS; plus Ciaran
23 > strikes me as the kind of guy who *would* expend massive effort to find
24 > a way round current udev and systemd.
27 > [1] I didn't look myself. I have no idea what Exherbo's stance is on
28 > this matter.
29
30 Exherbo recommends installing systemd [1]. Sabayon installs systemd by
31 default [2]. Funtoo is considering running GNOME >=3.8 in a container so
32 systemd doesn't "impact" the rest of the system [3] (which by the way looks
33 like an interesting idea). However, in the same link Daniel Robbins says:
34
35 "[...] from my perspective, I think it is simply so people can run GNOME. I
36 do like GNOME 3.6. I like their new UI. It would be nice to run 3.8. I
37 don't care about systemd. It is simply a dep of GNOME. That is all."
38
39 I see that as being open to the idea of using systemd in the future. It
40 doesn't say that they'll never support systemd, as others would. Well,
41 users; for the people that actually write the code, the majority seems to
42 like systemd, or at least don't have a problem with it.
43
44 Anyhow, many in this thread forget that it was the OpenRC maintainer the
45 one that proposed the change to stop supporting a separate /usr without an
46 initramfs. If you use OpenRC, and have a separate /usr without an
47 initramfs, and *anything * breaks in your machine, you get to keep the
48 pieces. No (official) support for you.
49
50 It doesn't matter if you use udev, eudev (which is the same, just
51 emasculated), nor mdev. OpenRC will start assuming an early available /usr;
52 that's why its maintainer championed the change. It needs it to actually
53 compete with systemd. So even Funtoo will need the same requirement, unless
54 they switch to runit.
55
56 As others have said, this is not really related to systemd/udev. It's
57 OpenRC, the "official" and (still) recommended init system for Gentoo, the
58 one that is making the change.
59
60 And about time, if you ask me.
61