From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:50:12
1 On 2013-09-28 2:18 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >> No seperate /usr either
4
5 > Well, it was there when I followed it otherwise, I wouldn't have known
6 > to even do it. I all but copy and pasted the instructions from the
7 > install guide.
8
9 I'm 99% certain it was in the LVM part of the handbook/guide.
10
11 Dale - I'm honestly curious, what is your reason, philisophical or
12 technical, for wanting a separate /usr?
13
14 Everything I've read says there is no good reason for it today. Separate
15 /home, /tmp, /var, yes, good reasons for t hose... but not /usr...
16
17 So, again - why would you prefer switching distro's over merging /usr
18 back into / and be done with it?