From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:18:14
1 Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 > Am 28.09.2013 17:06, schrieb Dale:
3 >> Michael Hampicke wrote:
4 >>> Am 28.09.2013 13:32, schrieb Tanstaafl:
5 >>>> On 2013-09-27 7:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>> No really,*why exactly*?
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Because that was the RECOMMENDED WAY IN THE GENTOO HANDBOOK when I
9 first
10 >>>> set this system up many years ago.
11 >>>>
12 >>>
13 >>> Where did you read that? According to the 2004 handbook the default
14 >>> partition scheme was:
15 >>>
16 >>> Partition Filesystem Size Description
17 >>> /dev/hda1 ext2 32M Boot partition
18 >>> /dev/hda2 (swap) 512M Swap partition
19 >>> /dev/hda3 ext3 Rest of the disk Root partition
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>
24 http://web.archive.org/web/20040419042803/http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> I guess I got mine from the handbook back in early 2003. That is when I
28 >> did my first install.
29 >
30 > This is the default partition scheme from 2001 according to the
31 handbook :-)
32 >
33 > Partition Size Type
34 > boot partition, containing kernel(s) and boot information ~100
35 > Megabytes ReiserFS recommended, ext2 ok
36 > root partition, containing main filesystem (/usr, /home, etc) >=1.5
37 > Gigabytes ReiserFS recommended, ext2 ok
38 > swap partition (no longer a 128 Megabyte limit) >=128 Megabytes
39 Linux swap
40 >
41 > No seperate /usr either
42
43 Well, it was there when I followed it otherwise, I wouldn't have known
44 to even do it. I all but copy and pasted the instructions from the
45 install guide.
50 >> Also, as I stated, I have / and /boot on regular partitions and
51 >> everything else on LVM. Care to guess why I don't have / on a LVM too?
52 >> Yep, to avoid the init thingy. I don't have /boot on LVM because grub
53 >> didn't support it.
56 > I know that you want the avoid an initramfs given your experience from
57 > mandrake lot's of years ago. The solution now is to merge /usr to / or
58 > risk that one day your system won't boot.
59 >
60 > I know that some changes are hard to overcome, but that does not mean
61 > you can look away :-)
64 Yep, it could lead to some changes but the init thingy isn't the only
65 change it could lead too. I said that before and I'll say it again, I'm
66 not going to start trying to pull my hair out over the init thingy.
67 First time it fails, it's been fun. I'll just move along to something
68 else. I did it once a long time ago and am not so locked in that I
69 can't do it again. See, I can change when needed. It's not that I
70 don't want to learn new things, I just don't want to learn old failed
71 things.
72
73 Dale
74
78 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
79 how you interpreted my words!