From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:24:35
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-28 2:18 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Michael Hampicke wrote:
4 >>> No seperate /usr either
5 >
6 >> Well, it was there when I followed it otherwise, I wouldn't have known
7 >> to even do it. I all but copy and pasted the instructions from the
8 >> install guide.
9 >
10 > I'm 99% certain it was in the LVM part of the handbook/guide.
11 >
12 > Dale - I'm honestly curious, what is your reason, philisophical or
13 > technical, for wanting a separate /usr?
14 >
15 > Everything I've read says there is no good reason for it today.
16 > Separate /home, /tmp, /var, yes, good reasons for t hose... but not
17 > /usr...
18 >
19 > So, again - why would you prefer switching distro's over merging /usr
20 > back into / and be done with it?
21 >
22 > .
26 I didn't use LVM back then. I only started using LVM a few years ago.
27
28 The reason is the same I have posted before. I have / and /boot on
29 regular partitions. Everything else is on LVM. I don't have / on LVM
30 because it would require a init thingy. I don't have /boot on LVM
31 because grub doesn't or didn't support it. I have since switched to
32 grub2 so it may but still have the issue with / so no need redoing
33 everything for that.
34
35 Dale
36
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!