From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 17:38:33
1 On 2013-09-29 11:24 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Dale - I'm honestly curious, what is your reason, philisophical or
4 >> technical, for wanting a separate /usr?
5 >>
6 >> Everything I've read says there is no good reason for it today.
7 >> Separate /home, /tmp, /var, yes, good reasons for t hose... but not
8 >> /usr...
9 >>
10 >> So, again - why would you prefer switching distro's over merging /usr
11 >> back into / and be done with it?
12
13 > The reason is the same I have posted before. I have / and /boot on
14 > regular partitions. Everything else is on LVM. I don't have / on LVM
15 > because it would require a init thingy. I don't have /boot on LVM
16 > because grub doesn't or didn't support it. I have since switched to
17 > grub2 so it may but still have the issue with / so no need redoing
18 > everything for that.
19
20 Well, I don't see a *reason* to WANT to have /usr on a separate
21 partition. I see only THE reason that you have it there NOW.
22
23 Also, logically speaking, if the stated reason for not having / (or
24 /boot) on separate LVM partitions is because it would require an init
25 thingy, then why can't you simply add /usr to that reason?
26
27 Again, I'm asking for why you WANT it on a separate LVM partition, not
28 why it is there now.
29
30 The way I see it, if y ou cannot provide a rational answer to that
31 question, then there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
32 abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...