From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:26:15
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-29 11:24 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Dale - I'm honestly curious, what is your reason, philisophical or
5 >>> technical, for wanting a separate /usr?
6 >>>
7 >>> Everything I've read says there is no good reason for it today.
8 >>> Separate /home, /tmp, /var, yes, good reasons for t hose... but not
9 >>> /usr...
10 >>>
11 >>> So, again - why would you prefer switching distro's over merging /usr
12 >>> back into / and be done with it?
13 >
14 >> The reason is the same I have posted before. I have / and /boot on
15 >> regular partitions. Everything else is on LVM. I don't have / on LVM
16 >> because it would require a init thingy. I don't have /boot on LVM
17 >> because grub doesn't or didn't support it. I have since switched to
18 >> grub2 so it may but still have the issue with / so no need redoing
19 >> everything for that.
20 >
21 > Well, I don't see a *reason* to WANT to have /usr on a separate
22 > partition. I see only THE reason that you have it there NOW.
23 >
24 > Also, logically speaking, if the stated reason for not having / (or
25 > /boot) on separate LVM partitions is because it would require an init
26 > thingy, then why can't you simply add /usr to that reason?
27 >
28 > Again, I'm asking for why you WANT it on a separate LVM partition, not
29 > why it is there now.
30 >
31 > The way I see it, if y ou cannot provide a rational answer to that
32 > question, then there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
33 > abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...
37 Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before. I have had to
38 resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho. THAT is the reason. For
39 me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not. I am the one
40 doing things on my puter not you or anyone else. If the init thingy
41 fails, that will be me staring at a error message, not you.
42
43 I hope that clears it up for you.
44
45 Dale
46
50 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!