From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:38:57
1 On 29.09.2013 20:25, Dale wrote:
2 > Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2013-09-29 11:24 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Tanstaafl wrote:
5 >>>> Dale - I'm honestly curious, what is your reason, philisophical or
6 >>>> technical, for wanting a separate /usr?
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Everything I've read says there is no good reason for it today.
9 >>>> Separate /home, /tmp, /var, yes, good reasons for t hose... but not
10 >>>> /usr...
11 >>>>
12 >>>> So, again - why would you prefer switching distro's over merging /usr
13 >>>> back into / and be done with it?
14 >>
15 >>> The reason is the same I have posted before. I have / and /boot on
16 >>> regular partitions. Everything else is on LVM. I don't have / on LVM
17 >>> because it would require a init thingy. I don't have /boot on LVM
18 >>> because grub doesn't or didn't support it. I have since switched to
19 >>> grub2 so it may but still have the issue with / so no need redoing
20 >>> everything for that.
21 >>
22 >> Well, I don't see a *reason* to WANT to have /usr on a separate
23 >> partition. I see only THE reason that you have it there NOW.
24 >>
25 >> Also, logically speaking, if the stated reason for not having / (or
26 >> /boot) on separate LVM partitions is because it would require an init
27 >> thingy, then why can't you simply add /usr to that reason?
28 >>
29 >> Again, I'm asking for why you WANT it on a separate LVM partition, not
30 >> why it is there now.
31 >>
32 >> The way I see it, if y ou cannot provide a rational answer to that
33 >> question, then there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
34 >> abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...
38 > Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before. I have had to
39 > resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho. THAT is the reason. For
40 > me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not. I am the one
41 > doing things on my puter not you or anyone else. If the init thingy
42 > fails, that will be me staring at a error message, not you.
43
44 I agree to 100% with you Dale. I have /usr on a separate LVM partition
45 (I only have, as you, / and /boot on regular partitions) to be able to
46 easily extend it (which I have been forced to do a few times).
47 And as my VG-partition starts directly after the /-partition I am not in
48 the position to extend / to "engulf" all the data in /usr.
51 Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
53 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

0x2FB894AD.asc application/pgp-keys