From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:10:05
1 On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu> wrote:
2 > On 29.09.2013 20:25, Dale wrote:
3 >> Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before. I have had to
4 >> resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho. THAT is the reason. For
5 >> me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not. I am the one
6 >> doing things on my puter not you or anyone else. If the init thingy
7 >> fails, that will be me staring at a error message, not you.
8 >
9 > I agree to 100% with you Dale. I have /usr on a separate LVM partition
10 > (I only have, as you, / and /boot on regular partitions) to be able to
11 > easily extend it (which I have been forced to do a few times).
12 > And as my VG-partition starts directly after the /-partition I am not in
13 > the position to extend / to "engulf" all the data in /usr.
14
15 Peeps using LVM:
16 If, right now, you were forced to boot into /, without /usr, would you
17 be able to manually assemble your usr using pv/vg/lv tools - without
18 the assistance of udev?
19
20 The gentoo warning is simply saying that they don't have enough people
21 to devote to debugging problems where that happens. So if you so love
22 your / rescue systems, you can make a very early init script - before udev -
23 that mounts /usr. And you could host it on an overlay if you want or
24 submit it into gentoo bugzilla as a proposal.
25
26 It isn't unsupported in that they're going to make sure it doesn't work.
27 It's unsupported in that they don't have the resources to fix bugs caused by
28 that.
31 This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [ ] social
32 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
33 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none