From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:56:21
1 On 17 Jul 2007, at 18:38, <burlingk@×××××××××.mil>
2 <burlingk@×××××××××.mil> wrote:
3 >
4 > TiVo ... did not allow modified, and therefore potentially
5 > Compromised, devices connect to their network.
6 >
7 > This does not sound like theft of code, it sounds like sound network
8 > protocol. If you wish to maintain a secure environment that is stable
9 > for thousands of users, and has a lot of money riding on it, you do
10 > not allow compromised devices to connect.
11
12 I'm not familiar with Tivo's "network" - I'd had the impression that
13 a Tivo merely dialled into their servers & obtained a TV schedule.
14
15 However, this is not the point.
16
17 The point is that Tivo SOLD people hardware which was locked in such
18 a way that it made restrictions upon the purchasers' use of that
19 hardware. I presume that - although the GPL requires Tivo to inform
20 purchasers of their rights to a copy of the source code - this
21 retriction was not advertised at the point-of-sale.
22
23 There are lots of valid uses for a low-power computer with a TV-tuner
24 card, a hard-drive and a good TV-compatible video-output aside from
25 "hacking" Tivo's network.
26
27 If you want to build a secure network I think it's behoven upon you
28 to bear the cost of that. I just find it the idea objectionable that
29 you should be able to take source code that other people have written
30 - that other people have released publicly with the intent that it
31 should benefit all - and use that in a way detrimental to the
32 majority of users.
33
34 To bear the cost of a "secure environment" feel free to rent out the
35 equipment. Require a minimum 12-month contract, if you wish, but do
36 not "sell" the customer equipment which locks them into your service,
37 equipment which they "own" but which is worthless scrap should they
38 choose to cancel their subscription with you. That, IMO, is
39 misleading and whilst vendors may be entitled to sell equipment which
40 is locked to their service, I feel they ought to have the good grace
41 to write their own damn code if they're going to do so. Nintendo do
42 this quite successfully with their PS3 & Xbox360 consoles, and do not
43 rely on the open-source community to give them a free ride.
44
45 In the Land Of The Free consumers might not need any "protection"
46 from entering into any contract that they wish, but over here in
47 Europe we consider this sort of behaviour as petty any anti-competitive.
48
49 > The TiVo thing was completely within the word and spirit of the GPL.
50 > It is sad that many zealots seem to interpret the texts otherwise.
51
52 Whilst it may have been within the _word_ of the GPL your remarks do
53 not explain why the GPL has been specifically rewritten to exclude
54 this behaviour. How do you reconcile this fact with your remarks that
55 the Tivo thing is within the _sprit_ of the GPL?
56
57 Stroller.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list