From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Mplayer can't play DVDs
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:08:29
1 On 8/27/06, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > > gxine plays 2 out of 4 of the DVDs every time. mplayer doesn't output
3 > > > anything when started from a terminal except the following which pops
4 > > > up right away, before a DVD is put in:
5 > >
6 > > How do you run mplayer from a terminal with no DVD in thr drive, or are
7 > > you running gmplayer. Try
8 > >
9 > > mplayer -dvd-device /dev/dvd dvd://1
10 > >
11 > > with a DVD in the drive
12 >
13 > I was in fact using gmplayer. Your command above is able to play 2
14 > out of 4 of the DVDs just like gxine, and it fails much more
15 > gracefully than gxine on the other 2.
16 >
17 > I thought gmplayer was just a UI for mplayer. Why would mplayer play
18 > what gmplayer can't? Is there a better UI for mplayer than gmplayer?
21 Never liked gmplayer, it tends to crash on my system, while mplayer
22 itself has no problems at all. But to your question, I would sincerely
23 check my DVD drive, I also had problems exactly like yours, the
24 problem was a dying DVD drive that could not read some discs, and even
25 those discs seem to be readable once in a while... Let me ask you, is
26 this a notebook or laptop?
29 Daniel da Veiga
30 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
36 --