From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:29:26
1 On 2010-03-06 7:17 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On the other hand, you may run into problems if you do much emerging
3 > with usr/src/linux pointing to a kernel version other than the one
4 > that's running. It depends on whether you have packages that include
5 > their own kernel modules, like nvidia-drivers or virtualbox.
6
7 Hi Peter,
8
9 Thanks for the comments, and this one brings up a question I've always
10 wondered about.
11
12 I have multiple kernels installed, and can choose which one to boot from
13 from the grub boot screen. I always keep the previous 2 or 3 versions
14 'just in case' (never needed to boot from one though)...
15
16 Will booting from a different kernel from the one /usr/src/linux is
17 pointing to cause any problems? Or is it ok as long as I don't, as you
18 say above, start emerging things based on the different kernel headers?
19
20 I know I need to change the link (I use eselect) when changing
21 permanently, but I've always done this *after* booting to the new kernel
22 and making sure all services started properly and everything is running
23 smoothly.
24
25 Thanks again,
29 Charles