From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:22:36
1 On Saturday 06 March 2010 19:28:22 Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > I have multiple kernels installed, and can choose which one to boot
4 > from from the grub boot screen. I always keep the previous 2 or 3
5 > versions 'just in case' (never needed to boot from one though)...
6
7 Me too, except that I keep only one known good previous one, which is
8 the latest Gentoo patch level of the previous kernel patch level. For
9 instance, on this ~amd64 box the current kernel is 2.6.33, so the
10 reserve version is 2.6.32-r7.
11
12 > Will booting from a different kernel from the one /usr/src/linux is
13 > pointing to cause any problems? Or is it ok as long as I don't, as
14 > you say above, start emerging things based on the different kernel
15 > headers?
16
17 No and yes, respectively. And it's not just the kernel headers that
18 matter but certain of the configuration options you use in the kernel.
19
20 > I know I need to change the link (I use eselect) when changing
21 > permanently, but I've always done this *after* booting to the new
22 > kernel and making sure all services started properly and everything
23 > is running smoothly.
24
25 As I use nvidia-drivers, I have to do it before rebooting if I want an X
26 display; therefore I let portage do it by having the symlink USE flag
27 set. Your caution is commendable, but I don't think it's needed here.
30 Rgds
31 Peter.