From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVM on Gentoo Linux?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 16:05:52
1 On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 10:14 AM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sunday, 31 March 2019 12:32:55 BST Andreas Fink wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 11:53:19 +0100
5 > >
6 > > Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 > > > If I'm booting off a live-CD or similar, then I'm not worried about the
8 > > > system being available for use, and streaming the data at a level BELOW
9 > > > the file system is far more efficient and quicker.
10 > >
11 > > It's only faster if your disk is almost fully used. If you have a lot of
12 > > free disk space your method is doing a dumb clone of unused space. So it's
13 > > argueable which method is faster ;)
14 > > Your method neither allows changing of partition sizes nor a change on the
15 > > underlying filesystems. Maybe it's worth thinking about about another
16 > > filesystem, when you switch from classic HDD to SSD.
17 > >
18 > > Cheers
19 > > Andreas
20 >
21 > partclone is a more intelligent solution than dd, skipping any free disk space
22 > to clone a complete disk, or if required individual partitions. Unlike rsync
23 > it will copy over partition boot records thus retaining UUIDs, which means
24 > MSWindows should be able to boot again without needing to use BCDedit et al.
27 There is also clonezilla, which features bootable images and is
28 basically a GUI wrapper around a bunch of FOSS partition imaging/etc
29 tools. I believe that it can resize partitions and so on, at least
30 for the linux-oriented ones. I'm not sure if it can resize NTFS. I
31 think it uses partimage (which I'm guessing is related to partclone),
32 which uses free-space mapping combined with block-level backups. That
33 makes it good for backing up filesystems where full drivers are not
34 available - as long as the software can figure out which blocks are
35 discardable it can do a block-level backup efficiently without the
36 need to completely decipher the filesystem layout.
39 Rich