From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVM on Gentoo Linux?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 14:14:39
1 On Sunday, 31 March 2019 12:32:55 BST Andreas Fink wrote:
2 > On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 11:53:19 +0100
3 >
4 > Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > If I'm booting off a live-CD or similar, then I'm not worried about the
6 > > system being available for use, and streaming the data at a level BELOW
7 > > the file system is far more efficient and quicker.
8 >
9 > It's only faster if your disk is almost fully used. If you have a lot of
10 > free disk space your method is doing a dumb clone of unused space. So it's
11 > argueable which method is faster ;)
12 > Your method neither allows changing of partition sizes nor a change on the
13 > underlying filesystems. Maybe it's worth thinking about about another
14 > filesystem, when you switch from classic HDD to SSD.
15 >
16 > Cheers
17 > Andreas
18
19 partclone is a more intelligent solution than dd, skipping any free disk space
20 to clone a complete disk, or if required individual partitions. Unlike rsync
21 it will copy over partition boot records thus retaining UUIDs, which means
22 MSWindows should be able to boot again without needing to use BCDedit et al.
25 Regards,
26 Mick