From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet security.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 11:09:03
1 On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 10:36:09AM +0100, thegeezer wrote:
2 > There's a lot FUD out there and equally there is some truth. the NSA
3 > "we can decrypt everything" statement was really very vague, and can
4 > easily be done if you have a lot of taps (ala PRISM) and start doing
5 > mitm attacks to reduce the level of security to something that is
6 > crackable.
7 > for 'compatibility' very many low powered encryption schemes are
8 > supported and it is these that are the issue.
9 > if you are using ipsec tunnels with aes encryption you can happily
10 > ignore these.
11 > if you are using mpls networks you can almost guarantee your isp and
12 > therefore your network is compromised.
13 > the question really is what do you define as security ?
14 > if someone was to hit you on the head with a hammer, how long til you
15 > willingly gave out your passwords ? [1]
16 > I agree with the lack of faith in certificate CA's and i feel that the
17 > reason that warnings over ssl are so severe is to spoon feed folks into
18 > the owned networks. I far more trust the way mozilla do their web of
19 > trust [2] but equally am aware that trolls live in the crowds.
20 > while ssh authorized_keys are more secure than passwords, i can't (and
21 > am hoping someone can point me to) find how to track failed logins as
22 > folks bruteforce their way in. yes it's orders of magnitude more
23 > difficult but then internet speed is now orders of magnitude faster, and
24 > OTP are looking more sensible every day [3] to me.
25 > i used to use windows live messenger and right near the end found that
26 > if you send someone a web link to a file filled with /dev/random called
27 > passwords.zip you would have some unknown ip connect and download it too.
28 > who then is doing that and i trust skype and it's peer2peer nonsense
29 > even less.
30 > who even knows you can TLS encrypt SIP ?
31 > there are many ways of encrypting email but this is not supported from
32 > one site to another, even TLS support is often lacking, and GPG the
33 > contents means that some folks you send email to cannot read it -- there
34 > is always a trade off between usability and security.
35 > i read in slashdot that there is a question mark over SELinux because it
36 > came from the NSA [4] but this is nonsense, as it is a means of securing
37 > processes not network connections. i find it difficult to believe that
38 > a backdoor in a locked cupboard in your house can somehow give access
39 > through the front door.
40 > how far does trust need to be lost [5] before you start fabricating your
41 > own chips ? the complexity involved in chip fabs is immense and if
42 > bugs can slip through, what else can [6]
43 > ultimately a multi layer security approach is required, and security
44 > itself needs to be defined.
45 > i like privacy so i have net curtains, i don't have a 3 foot thick
46 > titanium door with strengthened hinges.
47 > if someone looks in my windows, i can see them. either through the
48 > window or on cctv.
49 > security itself has to be defined so that risk can be managed.
50 > so many people buy the biggest lock they can find and forget the hinges.
51 > or leave the windows open.
52 > even then it doesn't help in terms of power failure or leaking water or
53 > gas mains exploding next door (i.e. the definition of security in the
54 > sense of safety)
55 > to some security means RAID, to others security means offsite backup
56 > i like techniques such as port knocking [7] for reducing the size of the
57 > scan target
58 > if you have a cheap virtual server on each continent and put asterisk on
59 > each one; linked by aes ipsec tunnels with a local sip provider in each
60 > one then you could probably hide your phone calls quite easily from
61 > snoops. until they saw your bank statement and wondered what all these
62 > VPS providers and SIP accounts were for, and then the authorities if
63 > they were tracking you would go after those. why would you do such a
64 > thing? perhaps because you cannot trust the monopoly provider of a
65 > country to screen its equipment [8]
66 > even things like cookie tracking for advertising purposes - on the
67 > lighter side what if your kids see the ads for the stuff you are buying
68 > them for christmas ? surprise ruined? where does it stop - its one
69 > thing for google to announce governments want your search history, and
70 > another for advertising companies to sell your profile and tracking,
71 > essentially ad companies are doing the governments snooping job for them.
72 > ultimately it's down to risk mitigation. do you care if someone is
73 > snooping on your grocery list? no? using cookie tracking ? yeah
74 > profiling is bad - wouldn't want to end up on a terrorist watchlist
75 > because of my amusement with the zombie apocalypse listmania [9]
76 > encryption is important because you don't know what other folks in the
77 > internet cafe are doing [10]
78 > but where do you draw the line ?
79 > if you go into a shop do you worry that you are on cctv ?
80 >
81 > ok i'll stop ranting now, my main point is always have multi layered
82 > security - and think about what you are protecting and from whom
83 >
84 > [1] http://xkcd.com/538/
85 > [2] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/
86 > [3] http://blog.tremily.us/posts/OTP/