From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shell echo missing after ctrl+c
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:12:47
1 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > More and more of my Gentoo systems are exhibiting the following
5 > strange and unexpected behavior:
6 >
7 > After ctrl+c'ing out of programs like tailf, SSH password prompts, in
8 > the middle of a shell scripts, the shell echo is not restored - that
9 > is: If I type characters I no longer see the characters (but they are
10 > received and can be executed by "enter"). If experiencing this, I have
11 > to ctrl+c again to discard what I was typing, the blindly type "reset"
12 > to reset the terminal, then echo is enabled again.
13 >
14 > I'm not sure which update or configuration is causing this. It started
15 > out on our Gentoo servers some years ago (which I'm only SSH'ed into,
16 > no physical access), now since a few weeks, also my desktop machines are
17 > affected. I have no explanation for this.
18 >
19 > But maybe anyone?
20 >
21 > BTW: I know from the old times (some 15-20 years ago) that ctrl+c out
22 > of a program (i.e. rsync) that starts a subshell (i.e. ssh) that in
23 > turn shows a password prompt, will leave you with an echoless shell.
24 > But it shows up on almost any occasion now.
27 I don't have a solution but wanted to reply to say that this happens to
28 me too. I have a regular desktop running KDE. I use Konsole for most
29 of my command line activity. I've noticed that this happens with a lot
30 of programs. It has been happening so long, I thought maybe it was the
31 new way things are done. It is aggravating and confusing at times.
32
33 You are not alone on this. I'm hoping someone will post a fix.
34
35 Dale
36