From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Shell echo missing after ctrl+c
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:50:20
1 Hello!
2
3 More and more of my Gentoo systems are exhibiting the following
4 strange and unexpected behavior:
5
6 After ctrl+c'ing out of programs like tailf, SSH password prompts, in
7 the middle of a shell scripts, the shell echo is not restored - that
8 is: If I type characters I no longer see the characters (but they are
9 received and can be executed by "enter"). If experiencing this, I have
10 to ctrl+c again to discard what I was typing, the blindly type "reset"
11 to reset the terminal, then echo is enabled again.
12
13 I'm not sure which update or configuration is causing this. It started
14 out on our Gentoo servers some years ago (which I'm only SSH'ed into,
15 no physical access), now since a few weeks, also my desktop machines are
16 affected. I have no explanation for this.
17
18 But maybe anyone?
19
20 BTW: I know from the old times (some 15-20 years ago) that ctrl+c out
21 of a program (i.e. rsync) that starts a subshell (i.e. ssh) that in
22 turn shows a password prompt, will leave you with an echoless shell.
23 But it shows up on almost any occasion now.
26 Regards,
27 Kai
28
29 Replies to list-only preferred.