From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Redundant / hot-swap server hardware (available in UK).
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:29:58
1 On 14 Feb 2007, at 11:41, Mike Williams wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 14 February 2007 11:15, Stroller wrote:
4 >> I'm looking to deploy a couple of servers for Gentoo use & I'm
5 >> wondering if anyone has any recommendations. There requirements for
6 >> each are slightly different, but what is in common is that I want
7 >> hotswap SATA hard-drives (a simple mirror RAID is probably fine) &
8 >> PSUs.
9 >
10 > I'm having a pleasant experience with http://www.boston.co.uk
11 > Supermicro stuff is really good, and cheap (when it comes to pre-
12 > built server
13 > style hardware).
14 > Boston can supply everything and anything Supermicro make.
15
16 Yeah, I did look at Supermicro. Might be great for my own server, but
17 not sure about for my customers - my concern is that Supermicro seem
18 to be the manufacturer & they have several distributors in each country.
19
20 It's not much good if I need a spare (one half of a pair of redundant
21 PSUs, for instance) in two years time and the supplier says, "sorry,
22 mate, we don't stock that model any more". Do you know if either
23 Supermicro or Boston have policies to cover this sort of thing? If I
24 were deploying several servers I might consider buying one or two
25 extra for spares, but that's not practicable on this occasion.
26
27 This is why I like the thought of Dell, HP or IBM. But I thought I'd
28 see if anyone here had any recent experience of their Linux support
29 before I phoned their salesmen to hear how great it is. My Compaq -
30 admittedly a machine that's 6 or 8 years old, now - has very spotty
31 Linux support; drivers for the RAID hardware are in the main kernel
32 tree (which is GREAT!) but the source RPMs available for diagnostic
33 stuff were a bit of a chore to install on Gentoo and some features
34 (like fan speed) were only available under Windows. It'd be really
35 nice to do a little better than that this time around.
36
37 What Supermicro systems are you using, please? And how are you
38 finding the Linux support?
39
40 For instance the 7044H-TR has 4 x internal cooling fans & 2 x rear
41 exhaust fans and the manual (<http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/
42 superserver/4U/MNL-0775.pdf>, section 7-17) explains that the BIOS
43 "option is set to "3-pin fan", the fan speed is controlled based upon
44 the CPU die temperature. ... set to "4-pin", the fan speed will be
45 controlled by the Thermal Management Settings pre-configured by the
46 user". I'm not quite clear whether this is entirely managed by the
47 BIOS or whether it needs o/s / kernel support, too?
48
49 Stroller.
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list