From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 06:14:04
1 On 09/01/2010 03:38 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 08/27/2010 12:49 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
5 >>> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
6 >>> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
7 >>> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
8 >>
9 >> You do the labeling *before* you switch to the new kernel. Once you
10 >> get it working correctly with your current kernel, then you can
11 >> upgrade to the new ATA drivers and it will just work (which is the
12 >> whole point of this exercise.)
15 > OK. Finally got updated to a new kernel. [...]
16 >
17 > Anyway, this did sort of work out to be weird and not what I expected at
18 > all. I expected the drives to be laid out in this way:
19 >
20 > sda first drive with old ide
21 > sdb second drive with old ide
22 > sdc third drive with old ide
23 > sdd forth drive with a SATA controller
24 >
25 > Well, it actually sees the drive connected to the SATA controller first
26 > then the other drives follow along after that in order.
27
28 I mentioned this in a reply :P Usually SATA drives go first. (Emphasis
29 on "usually.")
32 > Naturally when I
33 > first tried to boot I was pointing to sda6 for my root partition. Well,
34 > it was actually on sdb6. It did list the drives just before the error
35 > and the blinking lights on the keyboard. No scroll back either. :-( I
36 > saw just enough to be able to figure out what drives were what.
37 >
38 > Is there some way to get it to change this or am I stuck? My concern is
39 > that I plan to add another drive to the SATA card soon and that will
40 > move everything up another notch. I would really like the IDE drives to
41 > be seen first since I rarely change them.
42
43 What exactly is the problem you have? You can't boot? You can simply
44 hit "Esc" in grub and go to text-only mode, and then "e" to edit the
45 current grub boot entry. There you can boot from somewhere else.