From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 00:39:22
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/27/2010 12:49 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
4 >> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
5 >> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
6 >> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
7 >
8 > You do the labeling *before* you switch to the new kernel. Once you
9 > get it working correctly with your current kernel, then you can
10 > upgrade to the new ATA drivers and it will just work (which is the
11 > whole point of this exercise.)
15 OK. Finally got updated to a new kernel. I had some trouble with my
16 sensors but after a bit of googling I found a workaround. It appears
17 that the kernel folks are trying to fix one thing and broke something
18 else. lol Progress.
19
20 Anyway, this did sort of work out to be weird and not what I expected at
21 all. I expected the drives to be laid out in this way:
22
23 sda first drive with old ide
24 sdb second drive with old ide
25 sdc third drive with old ide
26 sdd forth drive with a SATA controller
27
28 Well, it actually sees the drive connected to the SATA controller first
29 then the other drives follow along after that in order. Naturally when
30 I first tried to boot I was pointing to sda6 for my root partition.
31 Well, it was actually on sdb6. It did list the drives just before the
32 error and the blinking lights on the keyboard. No scroll back either.
33 :-( I saw just enough to be able to figure out what drives were what.
34
35 Is there some way to get it to change this or am I stuck? My concern is
36 that I plan to add another drive to the SATA card soon and that will
37 move everything up another notch. I would really like the IDE drives
38 to be seen first since I rarely change them.
39
40 Still thinking about getting grub to see labels. That would help too.
41 Actually, that would be a good fix too.
42
43 Thanks.
44
45 Dale