From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting removable media
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:33:42
1 On Friday 24 February 2006 15:18, Matthias Bethke wrote:
2
3 > I have a bit of chicken-and-egg problem trying to get encrypted
4 > removable devices to work as "normal" as possible.
5 > Using Loop-AES and a GPG-encrypted key I had no problems encrypting my
6 > external FW drive, but to pass all the options to losetup without
7 > entering them by hand every time, I need an fstab entry. The drive
8 > shows up as /dev/sda, but putting /dev/sda1 there is no good as it
9 > would try to use Loop-AES on *every* external drive. So far I could
10 > just use volume labels in my fstab to distinguish any number of
11 > drives---well, I used to until hald/dbus made that automatic. But now
12 > there are no labels any more as they get encrypted as well.
13 > Has anyone come up with a solution for this yet? I could imagine some
14 > plugin for the hotplug system that checks /proc/scsi/scsi for a
15 > certain model before mounting. Not the cleanest solution either but as
16 > my external drives are different models it would work for me. I don't
17 > have much of a clue about the hotplug system though...
18
19 With udev you can create hardware-specific devices (meaning you can have
20 a device in /dev that corresponds exactly to some particular hard disk),
21 based on various hardware-specific information (eg, manufacturer name or
22 device id and many others) See
23 http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
24 for the details.
25 --