From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Using an odd number of drives in ZFS RaidZ
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 17:35:33
1 Am Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 04:01:25PM +0100 schrieb antlists:
2
3 > On 01/07/2021 14:47, Robert David wrote:
4 > > Hi Frank,
8 > > In any of my data arrays I have long time migrated off the RAIDZ to the
9 > > MIRROR or RAID10. You will find finally that the RAIDZ is slow and not
10 > > very flexible.
11
12 Flexibility indeed. This bites me in the butt now. But performance is
13 sufficient for me, because everything can saturate gigabit ethernet and
14 there are no VMs involved.
15
16 A scrub currently takes 10½ hours. Considering each drive is filled with
17 6 TB * 80 % = 4.8 TB, that’s an average of 130 MB/s/device which seems not
18 so bad for 5400 rpm drives.
19
20 When I installed drives #3 and 4, I thought long and hard about whether to
21 use Raid-10 or Z2. The increased resilience won the argument (any 2 drives
22 over 2 particular drives).
23
24 > > If you really need the additional space, consider adding second jbod
25 > > with another disks.
26 >
27 > That'd be my approach - migrate a load of stuff off onto another disk
28 > elsewhere, but that's not what the OP wants to do.
29
30 Yeah… I know that for some people, carrying around TBs of movies and TV
31 series is overkill, but I like having them, and I like having them all in
32 this neat little box:
33 https://www.inter-tech.de/products/ipc/storage-cases/sc-4100
34 :)
37 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
38 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
39
40 “If I could explain it to the average person, I wouldn't have been worth
41 the Nobel Prize.” – Richard Feynman