From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Using an odd number of drives in ZFS RaidZ
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 15:01:36
1 On 01/07/2021 14:47, Robert David wrote:
2 > Hi Frank,
6 > In any of my data arrays I have long time migrated off the RAIDZ to the
7 > MIRROR or RAID10. You will find finally that the RAIDZ is slow and not
8 > very flexible. Only think you gain is the extra space in constrained
9 > array spaces. For RAID10 it is much easier to raise the size, just
10 > resilvering to new bigger disks, removing old and expanding. The
11 > resilvering speed is magnitude faster.
12
13 > And anyway much easier to recover
14 > in cases of failure.
15 >
16 ARE YOU SURE???
17
18 The standard mirror does not cope with corruption very well. Lose a disk
19 and resilvering is fast. Corrupt the data, and you'll be tearing your
20 hair out why things go wrong randomly, with no automated way, even once
21 you've realised what's happened, to recover your data other than a
22 restore from backup.
23
24 > If you really need the additional space, consider adding second jbod
25 > with another disks.
26
27 That'd be my approach - migrate a load of stuff off onto another disk
28 elsewhere, but that's not what the OP wants to do.
29 >
30 > Robert.
31 >
32 Cheers,