From: Matt Causey <matt.causey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restricting Firefox website access
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:35:09
2 >> 1. Put all your mirror sites in the exception list. This can get tedious as
3 >> some ebuilds list many mirrors for sources
4 >>
5 >> or
6 >>
7 >> 2. wget using ftp
8 >>
9 >> or
10 >>
11 >> 3. set up a proxy
12 >>
13 >> The easiest is #2 by far
14 >
15 > Does portage use wget over http by default? Can I change a setting to
16 > make it use ftp?
17 >
18 > - Grant
22 I think you would do well to setup a squid proxy and block outbound
23 traffic for the affected machines. We've had great success with squid
24 in our environment. This gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility
25 on your access control, and it means you don't have to be concerned
26 about which transport methods are used when updating/installing.
27 Added bonus is that the squid caches your Gentoo download objects.
30 Matt