From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restricting Firefox website access
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:50:57
1 >>> 1. Put all your mirror sites in the exception list. This can get tedious as
2 >>> some ebuilds list many mirrors for sources
3 >>>
4 >>> or
5 >>>
6 >>> 2. wget using ftp
7 >>>
8 >>> or
9 >>>
10 >>> 3. set up a proxy
11 >>>
12 >>> The easiest is #2 by far
13 >>
14 >> Does portage use wget over http by default? Can I change a setting to
15 >> make it use ftp?
16 >>
17 >> - Grant
21 > I think you would do well to setup a squid proxy and block outbound
22 > traffic for the affected machines. We've had great success with squid
23 > in our environment. This gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility
24 > on your access control, and it means you don't have to be concerned
25 > about which transport methods are used when updating/installing.
26 > Added bonus is that the squid caches your Gentoo download objects.
27
28 Is that tough to set up? I would think an iptables solution would be
29 easier, but maybe that won't work out.
30
31 - Grant