From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hwclock <--> sysclock and the ntp-client
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 00:01:49
1 Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> [12-02-06 20:00]:
2 > Am 06.02.2012 19:39, schrieb meino.cramer@×××.de:
3 > > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> [12-02-06 19:20]:
4 > >> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >>> Hi,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> to get the correct system time I use ntp-client in the boot process.
8 > >>> Furthermore in /etc/conf.d/hwclock I set:
9 > >>>
10 > >>> # Set CLOCK to "UTC" if your Hardware Clock is set to UTC (also known as
11 > >>> # Greenwich Mean Time). If that clock is set to the local time, then
12 > >>> # set CLOCK to "local". Note that if you dual boot with Windows, then
13 > >>> # you should set it to "local".
14 > >>> clock="UTC"
15 > >>>
16 > >>> # If you want to set the Hardware Clock to the current System Time
17 > >>> # (software clock) during shutdown, then say "YES" here.
18 > >>> # You normally don't need to do this if you run a ntp daemon.
19 > >>> clock_systohc="YES"
20 > >>>
21 > >>> # If you want to set the system time to the current hardware clock
22 > >>> # during bootup, then say "YES" here. You do not need this if you are
23 > >>> # running a modern kernel with CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS set to y.
24 > >>> # Also, be aware that if you set this to "NO", the system time will
25 > >>> # never be saved to the hardware clock unless you set
26 > >>> # clock_systohc="YES" above.
27 > >>> clock_hctosys="NO"
28 > >>>
29 > >>> # If you wish to pass any other arguments to hwclock during bootup,
30 > >>> # you may do so here. Alpha users may wish to use --arc or --srm here.
31 > >>> clock_args=""
32 > >>>
33 > >>> In the kernel config file I had set:
34 > >>>
35 > >>> CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
36 > >>> CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"
37 > >>>
38 > >>> I would exspect that after a reboot of the system which system time is
39 > >>> correctly set via ntp-client that the hwclock and system time only
40 > >>> differ in a small amount of time.
41 > >>>
42 > >>> But:
43 > >>> solfire:/home/mccramer>hwclock
44 > >>> Mon Feb 6 19:05:11 2012 -0.172569 seconds
45 > >>> solfire:/home/mccramer>date
46 > >>> Mon Feb 6 18:49:37 CET 2012
47 > >>> solfire:/home/mccramer>
48 > >>
49 > >> I don't know the CET tz, but I can see that the minutes don't match
50 > >> up. I assume you rand the two commands within seconds of each other.
51 > >> Is this true immediately after bootup, or does it take a while to get
52 > >> that far off? It could be that your hardware clock is drifting, and
53 > >> the system won't reset it until it goes to shutdown.
54 > >>
55 > >> --
56 > >> :wq
57 > >>
58 > >
59 > > Hi Michael,
60 > > thank you for your reply.
61 > > I set the configuration as mentioned above and booted twice with about
62 > > five minutes wait.
63 > > The commands were executed within seconds, yes.
64 > > All hardware clocks drifts, but this is not the problem.
65 > > The problem is that the hardware clock is not set to the system time
66 > > in contradiction to what I think the comments in the config are
67 > > saying.
68 > >
69 > > How can I fix that?
70 > >
71 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
72 > > Best regards,
73 > > mcc
78 > Is your RTC driver compiled into the kernel? The "httosys" function of
79 > the kernel takes place before any modules can be loaded and will fail if
80 > your CMOS clock driver is a module.
81 >
82 > Activating clock_hctosys in /etc/conf.d/hwclock should solve this as it
83 > takes place later in the boot process.
84 >
85 > Regards,
86 > Florian Philipp
90 As I wrote the kernel is configured
93 CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
94 CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"
95
96 so there is no module, the functionality is compiled into the kernel.
97
98 And as I wrote I am using the ntp_client to set the system time via
99 ntp/ntp_client later in the boot process to get the correct system
100 time.