From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hwclock <--> sysclock and the ntp-client
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 00:25:09
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > As I wrote the kernel is configured
7 > CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
8 > CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"
9 >
10 > so there is no module, the functionality is compiled into the kernel.
11 >
12 > And as I wrote I am using the ntp_client to set the system time via
13 > ntp/ntp_client later in the boot process to get the correct system
14 > time.
18 When I built my new rig, I had to use chrony to set my clock for a good
19 long while. For some reason, ntp just plain failed. After ntp had
20 several updates and bug fixes, I tried it again and it now works fine.
21 Could be that maybe something is buggy and affects your system, similar
22 to the way it did on mine, and you need to either back up a few
23 versions, run unstable if you are not already or as I did, try chrony
24 for a while until ntp gets fixed.
25
26 I never did figure out why ntp failed on me. I do know my clock was
27 awful without something keeping it on track.
28
29 If you choose to use chrony, I'd be glad to share my config and help you
30 set it up. I think I still got the commands to finds the closest time
31 server and stuff. It about runs with default settings tho.
32
33 Dale
34
35 :-) :-)
38 P. S. Here is the info:
39
40 chrony.conf
41
42 ! Use the exclamation mark to comment lines and not the # key.
43
44 server 64.6.144.6
45 server 67.159.5.90
46 server 67.59.168.233
47 server 204.62.14.98
48 driftfile /etc/chrony.drift
49 logdir /var/log/chrony
50 log measurements statistics tracking rtc
53 You may not want the last line. It logs a LOT. I used it for testing.
54 Note: Use ! to comment instead of #. Weird. Command to find closest
55 servers:
56
57 # A good way to get servers for your machine is:
58 # netselect -s 3 pool.ntp.org
59 # netselect -s 3 0.gentoo.pool.ntp.org
60
61 Just pick the ones with the least delay.
62
63 Now I'm gone.
66 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
67 how you interpreted my words!
68
69 Miss the compile output? Hint:
70 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"