From: Bruce Burden <brucegb@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or unknown-block(3,6)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:31:34
1 Hi Fei,
2
3 On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 05:35:59PM +0800, fei huang wrote:
4 > didn't you separate your boot partition from / ?
5 >
6 > --> root (hd1,5)
7 > this indicates your BOOT partition (/boot) is located at /dev/hdb6
8 >
9 Originally, this would have been:
10
11 root(hd0,5)
12 >
13 > --> kernel /boot/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hda6
14 > this indicates your ROOT partition ( your / ) locates at /dev/hda6, is is
15 > possible?
16 >
17 while I have not changed this line.
18
19 /boot is part of the / heirarchy, which is on /dev/hda6 assuming
20 the disk is an IDE disk in the laptop.
21
22 What I have is:
23
24 IDE: FreeBSD, with FreeBSD MBR
25 USB enclosure:
26 first 2 partitions Windows
27 hda5 - SWAP
28 hda6 - /
29 hda7 - /var
30 hda8 - /usr
31 hda9 - /tmp
32 hda10 - /usr/src
33 hda11 - /usr/portage
34 hda12 - /home
35 GRUB is instaled in MBR.
36
37 Now, on boot, the FreeBSD bootloader gets me to the GRUB loader on
38 the USB drive.
39
40 What I believe I need to know is how to remap the partitions on the
41 original IDE drive to SCSI partitions, because that drive is now in the USB
42 enclosure.
43
44 Also, I need to know how to "change" the Windows partition so that
45 Windows believe it is the first disk, otherwise it will not boot.
46
47 Bruce
48 --
50 "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
51 - Thuganlitha
52 The Power and the Prophet
53 Robert Don Hughes
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list