From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or unknown-block(3,6)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:43:16
1 On Tuesday 26 December 2006 18:26, Bruce Burden wrote:
2 > Hi Fei,
3 >
4 > On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 05:35:59PM +0800, fei huang wrote:
5 > > didn't you separate your boot partition from / ?
6 > >
7 > > --> root (hd1,5)
8 > > this indicates your BOOT partition (/boot) is located at /dev/hdb6
9 >
10 > Originally, this would have been:
11 >
12 > root(hd0,5)
13 >
14 > > --> kernel /boot/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hda6
15 > > this indicates your ROOT partition ( your / ) locates at /dev/hda6, is is
16 > > possible?
17 >
18 > while I have not changed this line.
19 >
20 > /boot is part of the / heirarchy, which is on /dev/hda6 assuming
21 > the disk is an IDE disk in the laptop.
22 >
23 > What I have is:
24 >
25 > IDE: FreeBSD, with FreeBSD MBR
26 > USB enclosure:
27 > first 2 partitions Windows
28 > hda5 - SWAP
29 > hda6 - /
30 > hda7 - /var
31 > hda8 - /usr
32 > hda9 - /tmp
33 > hda10 - /usr/src
34 > hda11 - /usr/portage
35 > hda12 - /home
36 > GRUB is instaled in MBR.
37 >
38 > Now, on boot, the FreeBSD bootloader gets me to the GRUB loader on
39 > the USB drive.
40 >
41 > What I believe I need to know is how to remap the partitions on the
42 > original IDE drive to SCSI partitions, because that drive is now in the
43 > USB enclosure.
44
45 You can use tab auto-completion in grub to see what drives and partitions are
46 identified as.
47
48 > Also, I need to know how to "change" the Windows partition so that
49 > Windows believe it is the first disk, otherwise it will not boot.
50
51 That's right, it won't. You need the map command in your grub.conf:
52
53 map (hd0) (hd1)
54 map (hd1) (hd0)
55
56 WinXP will now think that it is on the first disk and it will boot happily.
59 Regards,
60 Mick