From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:29:35
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-07-27 13:12]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [14-07-27 12:32]:
4 > >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:12:47 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >>> On the one hand, the surface test (extended offline and such) aborts
7 > >>> as soon the first read fgailure happens.
8 > >>>
9 > >>> On the other hand it is said: If the count of bad sectors increases
10 > >>> over time it is time to change the hd.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> How can the second happen, if the first is true???
13 > >> My understanding is that the test only aborts if the error is severe
14 > >> enough to force it to do so. A simple bad block can be skipped and the
15 > >> rest of the drive tested.
16 > >>
17 > >> I've had a couple of drives get to the stage where SMART tests abort at
18 > >> an error and in both cases the manufacturer replaced them without
19 > >> question.
20 > >>
21 > >>
22 > >> --
23 > >> Neil Bothwick
24 > >>
25 > >> If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
26 > > Hi Dale, hi Neil,
27 > >
28 > > thanks for the infos.
29 > >
30 > > But it is slightly off the point I tried to explain (I am no native
31 > > english speaker...sorry...:)
32 > >
33 > > Suppose - as in my case - I have not yert managed to urge the hd to
34 > > map the bad sector off...
35 > >
36 > > Now...all tests abort after scanning 10% of the disk. Disk health
37 > > status is reported as "PASSED"...cause only one bad sector has been
38 > > found.
39 > >
40 > > But 90% of the space of the disk has never been scanned.
41 > >
42 > > Is this an implementation fault?
43 > > And if YES...is it the implementation of the firmware?
44 > > And: Is it my firmware or the one of the drive?
45 > > ;)
46 > >
47 > > Best regards,
48 > > mcc
51 > Interesting. I was able to get mine to do a full test and give me a
52 > clean result. If yours doesn't, well, I'd be diggin me out a box and
53 > sending that puppy back to mommy. It seems to need some help. To me,
54 > errors is one thing, errors that can't be corrected is a whole new
55 > problem. It should fix it and pass the test.
56 >
57 > Even with my drive passing the test, I don't trust it yet. If it was
58 > still showing the error even after I did what I had done, I certainly
59 > wouldn't trust it. If yours can't finish the long self test, it may
60 > need repairs that are above our pay grade.
61 >
62 > Maybe Neil or someone will have more ideas. I hope.
63 >
64 > Dale
65 >
70 Back to the initial problem:
71
72 How can I offline test the rest of the disk if
73 the first bad sector (10%) of the surface breaks
74 the test with an error?
75
76 Best regards,
77 mcc