From: Ramon Fischer <Ramon_Fischer@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice sought on the use of a VCS (specifically git) to keep track of my Softscroll patch.
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 20:56:52
1 If GitHub is preferred, there is also an official GitHub repository of
2 the Linux Kernel: https://github.com/torvalds/linux
3
4 -Ramon
5
6 On 23/09/2021 21:27, Marco Rebhan wrote:
7 > On Thursday, 23 September 2021 20:23:57 CEST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
8 >> Where would I find a suitable kernel git repository to clone? An
9 >> "official" repository, whatever that means? Ideally, I want one with
10 >> just the various kernel releases, not one containing gigabytes of
11 >> intermediate versions. Where would I even start searching to find
12 >> this out?
13 > Hey Alan,
14 >
15 > The official repository I think is
16 > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/.
17 > What I would do is apply your patch on top of that, and then to update
18 > it, rebase the patch onto the new upstream commit you want to update to.
19 > This leads to your patches always being at the tip of the commit history
20 > and not somewhere buried between commits from upstream.
21 >
22 > However, this rewrites git history so you'd have to force push the
23 > branch to whatever remote you're tracking it in, so keep that in mind.
24 >
25 > You could do this though and additionally have another branch where you
26 > track the patch files themselves that are rebased onto a certain kernel
27 > commit (you can export them with "git format-patch upstream/master" if
28 > upstream/master is whatever branch the patch is currently rebased on).
29 > That of course you don't have to then force push.
30 >
31 > I hope this helps :P
32 >
33 > -Marco
36 GPG public key: 5983 98DA 5F4D A464 38FD CF87 155B E264 13E6 99BF

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature