From: Marco Rebhan <me@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice sought on the use of a VCS (specifically git) to keep track of my Softscroll patch.
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 19:27:44
1 On Thursday, 23 September 2021 20:23:57 CEST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Where would I find a suitable kernel git repository to clone? An
3 > "official" repository, whatever that means? Ideally, I want one with
4 > just the various kernel releases, not one containing gigabytes of
5 > intermediate versions. Where would I even start searching to find
6 > this out?
7
8 Hey Alan,
9
10 The official repository I think is
11 https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/.
12 What I would do is apply your patch on top of that, and then to update
13 it, rebase the patch onto the new upstream commit you want to update to.
14 This leads to your patches always being at the tip of the commit history
15 and not somewhere buried between commits from upstream.
16
17 However, this rewrites git history so you'd have to force push the
18 branch to whatever remote you're tracking it in, so keep that in mind.
19
20 You could do this though and additionally have another branch where you
21 track the patch files themselves that are rebased onto a certain kernel
22 commit (you can export them with "git format-patch upstream/master" if
23 upstream/master is whatever branch the patch is currently rebased on).
24 That of course you don't have to then force push.
25
26 I hope this helps :P
27
28 -Marco