From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update blocked by kdebase-startkde:4
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 19:27:38
1 On 17/09/2016 21:17, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 09/17/2016 12:08 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 17/09/2016 17:16, Robin Atwood wrote:
4 >>> On Saturday 17 September 2016, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> What a peculiar odd thing to say. You might want to revisit your word
7 >>>
8 >>>> choice there.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>> Perhaps you're right. Unfortunately I don't have the time currently to
13 >>> fight with ebuilds so I will declare my system, in IBM's immortal
14 >>> expression, "functionally stabilised"! It does everything I need it to
15 >>> so updates are not really necessary. I looked into the KDE5 upgrade
16 >>> recently and what I read did not inspire me with confidence.
19 >> KDE5 works well enough, I've been using it here for months. There are
20 >> recurring reports of icons going missing and other uber-annoying
21 >> cosmetic issues, but I find the software quite functional.
22 >
23 > I like to actually *use* my computer though, not fight the DE. When I
24 > tried it months ago, plasma would crash every 10 seconds on its own.
27 Honestly, that sounds like you're projecting experiences of long ago
28 onto the present.
29
30 I haven't had a plasma crash in MONTHS, which falsifies everything you
31 say below....
36 > KDE5 won't be stable until another year at the minimum. After installing
37 > it and having the crashing (and other issues, but the main one was the
38 > constant crashing) I had no desire to put up with a broken DE for years
39 > like my experience with KDE4. Hell, with KDE4 it took them two years to
40 > put back basic functionality like a fully-functional systemsettings.
43 >> One thing KDE5 isn't though, is KDE4++ :-)
44 >>
45 >> If KDE4 is really what you want, then you best stick with it.
48 > It sure isn't easy though. I've stopped updating my computer and I
49 > probably won't try KDE5 until middle next year. Hopefully by then it'll
50 > actually be *usable*. It would have been nice if they snapshotted kde4
51 > 7-8 months ago and put the entirety in kde-sunset before messing with
52 > ebuilds and creating cross-version dependencies.
53 >
54 > Dan
59 Alan McKinnon
60 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com