From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Cowon iAudio u5
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:48:18
1 (I crosspost it here from the forums because I have no answers there...)
2
3 Hi,
4 I'm considering buying this mp3 player:
5 http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/u5/#specs
6
7 What I don't understand, is if it's Gentoo-friendly. Cowon x5 and i7
8 units, apart from being high quality players, used to be very
9 Linux-friendly AFAIK, and they even nicely support Ogg Vorbis audio.
10 However the x5 is discontinued and the i7 looks a bit too costly for me.
11
12 The u5 seems nice, unfortunately it doesn't support Ogg, but apart from
13 it looks cool. However it says:
14
15 Supports Windows Media DRM 10, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
16 [...]
17 USB Data Transfer Support for MAC OS (9.X, 10.X) and Linux (v2.2 and higher)
18
19 >From the PDF manual it seems to be "nice", in the meaning that you can
20 just drag-and-drop mp3 files like on a USB drive, and it will play them.
21 But if it's so, why it talks about MTP and Windows DRM (brrr!) ?
22 Basically, I don't want to find myself with an Ipod-like brick where I
23 can copy files on, but won't play them.
24
25 Is some Gentooer using the iAudio u5? What do you advise me to look for
26 in understanding this issue?
27
28 Thanks,
29 m.