From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:37:17
1 On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:00:20 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2
3 > > It is a lot more comfortable for the first-time installer.
4 >
5 > Why's that?
6
7 Because a first-time installer benefits from the confidence given by
8 using an official install disc.
9
10 > > It also allows you to install without a network
11 > > connection if you have a single CD containing the handbook, tools,
12 > > portage snapshot and stage files.
13 >
14 > How do you get that stuff (the Install CD)? By downloading? Why
15 > can't you download the handbook, snapshot and stage tar ball as
16 > well at that time? And what "tools" are you talking about? fdisk?
17 > chroot?
18
19 Everything needed can be obtained by downloading one ISO image and
20 burning it to CD. There's no need for extra trips back the the netted
21 computer to fetch things you discover you need after reading the
22 handbook, or partway through the install.
25 > > So while an official install disc is not necessary for installation
26 > > for many people, it is a part of what Gentoo should offer.
27 >
28 > I disagree. Maybe it's a bonus if it's offered, but then it "always"
29 > has to be up-to-date. And that, obviously, cannot be done right now.
30 > So I'd rather say, that it would be better, if there were no install
31 > CD at all.
32
33 But it can be done. The basic CD is a minimal live CD with portage
34 snapshots and stage tarballs, which is relatively easy to keep up to
35 date. What is holding the process back in the insistence on including a
36 full desktop and graphical installer on the CD, which is a complete
37 waste of effort IMO.
38
39 I would prefer releng to concentrate on producing the traditional style
40 minimal CD, with the installer project releasing their own discs based on
41 this when they are able.
45 Neil Bothwick
46
47 When you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?