From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:30:49
1 · Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2
3 > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:00:20 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >
5 >> > It is a lot more comfortable for the first-time installer.
6 >>
7 >> Why's that?
8 >
9 > Because a first-time installer benefits from the confidence given by
10 > using an official install disc.
11
12 I don't understand that. What confidence? To install Gentoo,
13 you need a way to partition your storage, create filesystems
14 and chroot. That can easily be done by any live CD.
17 >> > It also allows you to install without a network
18 >> > connection if you have a single CD containing the handbook, tools,
19 >> > portage snapshot and stage files.
20 >>
21 >> How do you get that stuff (the Install CD)? By downloading? Why
22 >> can't you download the handbook, snapshot and stage tar ball as
23 >> well at that time? And what "tools" are you talking about? fdisk?
24 >> chroot?
25 >
26 > Everything needed can be obtained by downloading one ISO image and
27 > burning it to CD.
28
29 Well.
30
31 > There's no need for extra trips back the the netted
32 > computer to fetch things you discover you need after reading the
33 > handbook, or partway through the install.
34
35 The same argument can be held against the install CD as well.
36
37 >> I disagree. Maybe it's a bonus if it's offered, but then it "always"
38 >> has to be up-to-date. And that, obviously, cannot be done right now.
39 >> So I'd rather say, that it would be better, if there were no install
40 >> CD at all.
41 >
42 > But it can be done.
43
44 It's not worth the effort, though, as far as I'm concerned.
45
46 Michael Schmarck
47 --
48 "But what we need to know is, do people want nasally-insertable computers?"
51 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list