From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Multiple versions of automake?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:01:34
1 On 03/10/2010 10:16 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2010-03-10 12:05 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> equery can be unreliable. If emerge --depclean -a wants to remove one
4 >> of both of them, let it, otherwise leave well alone.
5 >
6 > Understood, thanks...
7 >
8 > Just to be sure... the -a in the 'emerge --depclean -a' above will 'ask'
9 > me if I want to continue and remove the packages it finds, correct?
10 > Meaning, it won't just blindly go ahead and start ripping stuff out...
11 >
12 > How does that differ from 'emerge -p --depclean'?
13
14 "emerge -p" will only print what it would merge/unmerge and then quits
15 without asking. You can run this as normal user, no need to be root.
16
17 "emerge -a" will print what it would merge/unmerge and then ask if you
18 want to proceed. You have to be root to use this command.
19
20 If you are not root and use "emerge -a", portage will turn it into an
21 "emerge -p" and tell you that it did so because you are not root.