From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dir or file? >> /etc/portage/package.mask
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 16:12:14
1 On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 10:23:28 -0400,
2 Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >
4 > On 4/18/20 10:56 AM, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > I /thought/ that /etc/portage/package.mask is a file and using it
8 > > in this manner works as exspected.
9 > > Also the docs are of that opinion, too:
10 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.mask
11 > >
12 > > BUT!
13 > >
14 > > * error: please convert //etc/portage/package.mask to a directory
15 > > *
18 > > urges me to make a directory out of it.
19 > > After doing so, the command starts.
20 > >
21 > > I am confused....slightly...
24 > The devs are deprecating the flat-file version of package.*, I
25 > have been gettings warnings during emerges indicating that they
26 > all need to be changed to the directory layout.
27 >
28 > If you ignore this eventually emerge will stop working. I've
29 > already taken the few minutes to move all my boxes to the
30 > directory layout, and split out the packages to individual
31 > files. You don't have to go that far though, the entries can stay
32 > in one file under the new directory structure.
33
34 I wonder why they are doing this, I find the single file much easier
35 to deal with and its easier to make sure I don't have duplicate
36 entries this way.
39 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
40 How do
41 you spend it?
42
43 John Covici wb2una