From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dir or file? >> /etc/portage/package.mask
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 14:23:47
1 On 4/18/20 10:56 AM, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I /thought/ that /etc/portage/package.mask is a file and using it
5 > in this manner works as exspected.
6 > Also the docs are of that opinion, too:
7 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.mask
8 >
9 > BUT!
10 >
11 > * error: please convert //etc/portage/package.mask to a directory
12 > *
15 > urges me to make a directory out of it.
16 > After doing so, the command starts.
17 >
18 > I am confused....slightly...
21 The devs are deprecating the flat-file version of package.*, I have been
22 gettings warnings during emerges indicating that they all need to be
23 changed to the directory layout.
24
25 If you ignore this eventually emerge will stop working. I've already
26 taken the few minutes to move all my boxes to the directory layout, and
27 split out the packages to individual files. You don't have to go that
28 far though, the entries can stay in one file under the new directory
29 structure.
30
31 Dan