From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: blockage
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:08:09
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > > Sounds like you're volunteering, Alan.
4 > I do have some of the required skills, and I have free time right now.
5
6 Ah; stepping up are we? I'll be hoping you are taking requests on
7 the 'portage thingy' ?
8 How'z about extending emerge with a few extra commands & operands :: ?
9
10 that installs a new gentoo system (image) via an ansible file(s)?
11 Stephan put some stuff up a while back, but I have not gotten
12 back around to testing it. I recall you had some early workings too?
13
14 There's even some open source work on an ansible gui [1]:
17 If we have some quick way to install, then systems could be setup,
18 customized, used for testing and torn down again, all in a few hours? I'd
19 focus on simple, minimized installs and it would give the user base a way to
20 duplicate systems for problem verification and resolution. Also, as
21 clusters, clouds and various virtualizations continue to mature, it could
22 also aid in other forms of gentoo image debugging and verification
23 if bugs exist only in virtualized form or also in traditional installs.
24
25 Just a few thoughts; no big deal. If you step back a bit there are
26 many ways to approach portage/ebuild enhancements.
30 > Maybe I'll have a deeper look into portage's code with a view to
31 > improving this area. No promises thought
32
33 The dev repos and project repos are good places to start [2,3]:
36 James
37
38 [1] https://github.com/ansible-semaphore/semaphore
39