From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: blockage
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 14:08:51
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > If we have some quick way to install, then systems could be setup,
4 > customized, used for testing and torn down again, all in a few hours? I'd
5 > focus on simple, minimized installs and it would give the user base a way to
6 > duplicate systems for problem verification and resolution.
7
8 +1
9
10 Gentoo is really nice, and I too would like to see a way of installing a
11 minimal system in a faster way. Now I need to boot the live DVD and
12 follow the manual to get a starting point, which takes a lot of time
13 which I don't have.
16 As to updating, it kinda turns into a PITA because you might run into
17 dependency problems, and you just /might/ be able to solve them --- or
18 not. I can *not* have the servers in a /maybe/ operational state, so my
19 only choice is to *not* update them. That, of course, isn't really a
20 choice either, and it leads to unreasonably long intervals between
21 updates, which in turn become even more difficult because more has
22 changed.
23
24 The same is true for my machine at home, and after the last update with
25 these dependency problems, I haven't had the time to compile the new
26 kernel that came with it --- and I probably won't because there will be
27 another one next time. I didn't dare to even try to update the servers
28 at work after that, and I didn't dare to reboot at home.
29
30 What do you guys do? Take the risk of having the machines down for
31 hours due to an update?
34 For those who might argue that I shouldn't put Gentoo on servers: ZFS is
35 required, and Gentoo appears to be the safest and easiest distribution
36 when you need ZFS. Even when you don't need ZFS, there's still an awful
37 lack of alternatives nowadays.
41 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
42 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.