From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:46:04
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:02:54 +0800
3 > Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> > That was the original reason for having / and /usr separate, and it
6 >> > dates back to the early 70s. The other reason that stems from that
7 >> > time period is the size of disks we had back then - they were tiny
8 >> > and often a minimal / was all that could really fit on the primary
9 >> > system drive.
10 >>
11 >> I'm sorry, but I just can't let this one go. The reasons are
12 >> backwards. The limitation in free space was the original reason [1]
13 >> why / and /usr were separated. In fact, /usr was supposed to serve the
14 >> same purpose as /home - it was originally a directory for users. It's
15 >> only a quirk of history that served to keep most of the binaries in
16 >> /usr when the home directories were moved elsewhere to /home.
17 >>
18 >> Long story short, Unix, too, has its share of old farts that are
19 >> unwilling to embrace change at anything faster than a glacier's pace.
20 >> Just ask the Plan 9 folks.
21 >>
22 >> [1]
23 >> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
24 >
25 > Well fair enough. This stuff is becoming more myth than fact as less
26 > and less people are around to remember how it really went. There may
27 > even have been to-ing and fro-ing moving bits around till Ken and
28 > Dennis settled on the eventual outcome in that post.
29 >
30 > Either way, we still agree. A separate /usr is, *for the most part*, a
31 > tradition applied without much understanding of the reason (most
32 > traditions are exactly like this). Most people do not actually need
33 > it.
34
35 The sweet irony here is that Poettering - the cause for all this mess
36 - likely understood the logistics and rationale of the / and /usr
37 split better than most of his detractors - I'm pretty sure I landed on
38 that link by starting from one of his systemd tutorial pages, though I
39 can't exactly remember which one. Thankfully, I've never had to
40 maintain systems whose disks were small and low performing enough that
41 it actually mattered to separate / from /usr.
42 --
43 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
44 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
45 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none