From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:00:27
1 On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:44:13 +0800
2 Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
5 > >
6 > > Well fair enough. This stuff is becoming more myth than fact as less
7 > > and less people are around to remember how it really went. There may
8 > > even have been to-ing and fro-ing moving bits around till Ken and
9 > > Dennis settled on the eventual outcome in that post.
10 > >
11 > > Either way, we still agree. A separate /usr is, *for the most
12 > > part*, a tradition applied without much understanding of the reason
13 > > (most traditions are exactly like this). Most people do not
14 > > actually need it.
15 >
16 > The sweet irony here is that Poettering - the cause for all this mess
17 > - likely understood the logistics and rationale of the / and /usr
18 > split better than most of his detractors - I'm pretty sure I landed on
19 > that link by starting from one of his systemd tutorial pages, though I
20 > can't exactly remember which one. Thankfully, I've never had to
21 > maintain systems whose disks were small and low performing enough that
22 > it actually mattered to separate / from /usr.
23
24 Yes indeed :-)
25
26 The other sweet irony is that Lennart is quite often correct in what he
27 sets out to solve. He is the human equivalent of "disruptive
28 technology", but also has this knack of rubbing people up the wrong way
29 (or at least creating a circumstance where people believe he has rubbed
30 them up the wrong way). I have some measure of empathy for the man as I
31 tend to do similar things in my own sphere
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com