From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading kernel with gcc6... use mrproper and not clean
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 02:50:18
1 On 12/18/17 18:46, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > I just thought I'd send this out in case others aren't aware...
3 >
4 > I've updated some seven machines now to the new profile and gcc6. Out of
5 > the seven, four of them had problems rebuilding the kernel which led to
6 > an outright hang during booting (black screen, no kernel panic, just hang.)
7 >
8 > I found out `make clean` is not enough, I had to backup my .config, use
9 > `make mrproper`, restore the .config and run `make silentoldconfig`
10 > before compiling the kernel and modules.
11 >
12 > I am thinking `make clean` didn't remove everything made during the
13 > compile process and caused some strange race condition somewhere while
14 > booting (completely guessing here.)
15 >
16 > I went back to the three that seemed to be working fine and did the
17 > mrproper process on them, because if something happens down the line I
18 > probably won't remember what caused the boot issue.
19 >
20 > Dan
21
22 Sigh... from the kernel Makefile:
23
24 # clean - Delete most, but leave enough to build external modules
25
26 The computers in question that were hanging were using external modules
27 such as nvidia, open-vm-tools modules, vmware modules, etc...
28
29 *smacks head against wall*
30
31 I guess I answered my own question now, and I'll bet that everyone here
32 knew this already!
33
34 Dan