From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading kernel with gcc6... use mrproper and not clean
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 04:06:27
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 12/18/17 18:46, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> I just thought I'd send this out in case others aren't aware...
4 >>
5 >> I've updated some seven machines now to the new profile and gcc6. Out
6 >> of the seven, four of them had problems rebuilding the kernel which
7 >> led to an outright hang during booting (black screen, no kernel
8 >> panic, just hang.)
9 >>
10 >> I found out `make clean` is not enough, I had to backup my .config,
11 >> use `make mrproper`, restore the .config and run `make
12 >> silentoldconfig` before compiling the kernel and modules.
13 >>
14 >> I am thinking `make clean` didn't remove everything made during the
15 >> compile process and caused some strange race condition somewhere
16 >> while booting (completely guessing here.)
17 >>
18 >> I went back to the three that seemed to be working fine and did the
19 >> mrproper process on them, because if something happens down the line
20 >> I probably won't remember what caused the boot issue.
21 >>
22 >> Dan
23 >
24 > Sigh... from the kernel Makefile:
25 >
26 > # clean - Delete most, but leave enough to build external modules
27 >
28 > The computers in question that were hanging were using external
29 > modules such as nvidia, open-vm-tools modules, vmware modules, etc...
30 >
31 > *smacks head against wall*
32 >
33 > I guess I answered my own question now, and I'll bet that everyone
34 > here knew this already!
35 >
36 > Dan
41 I never can remember which is which so I run them both.  If that ever
42 starts to fail, I may see how me using that rm command does with
43 cleaning out stuff.  ROFL
44
45 Thanks for the heads up tho.
46