From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] motherboard died?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:01:15
1 Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Matt Harrison
3 > <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>
6 >> A few weeks ago there was a discussion about audio interference when running
7 >> 3d applications.
8 >>
9 >> Well mine kept getting worse (it didn't to it at all a month ago) until I
10 >> got fed up. I opened the side and (gently!) moved some of the power cables
11 >> away from the data cables to see if that was a cause of interference.
12 >>
13 >> Well I did manage to reduce the noise by moving cables around but a couple
14 >> of minutes later the machine bombed out with a big oops that I can't produce
15 >> now.
16 >>
17 >> I didn't think it was a big problem, I thought I had just pulled an hdd
18 >> cable a bit too hard or something.
19 >>
20 >> Now however, the machine won't post or even power up. It is an Asus
21 >> Crosshair SKT AM2 nForce 590 SLI DDR2 which has a debug display on the back
22 >> panel.
23 >>
24 >> As soon as you turn on the power to the motherboard, it displays "CPU INIT"
25 >> which is the very first stage. Now trying to turn on the machine yields
26 >> absolutely nothing, it just doesn't do a thing.
27 >>
28 >> I have removed all additional devices, just leaving 1 hdd. I've also
29 >> reseated the CPU, RAM and all cables.
30 >>
31 >> I can't see how I could have properly killed some hardware just by moving a
32 >> cable an inch to one side.
33 >>
34 >> If anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful, I really don't want to have to
35 >> return parts, I should be working on stuff right now :(
36 >>
37 >> Thanks
38 >>
39 >> Matt
43 > Hi Matt,
44 >
45 > My first guess would be that the audio interference would be a symptom
46 > of a bigger problem with the hardware. It is possible that static
47 > discharge or a loose connection could manifest these symptoms as well.
48 > I would start by verifying that everything is properly and securely
49 > plugged into the motherboard. After that, make a complete visual
50 > inspection of the board looking for capacitors that are bubbling or
51 > distorting outwards on the top (capacitors are the cylindrical
52 > components on the board, usually with two leads anchoring it to the
53 > PCB). From there, you should find some way of testing your power
54 > supply. Either find another machine into which you can plug the PSU
55 > to see if it posts the board, or take it to your local computer repair
56 > shop, as they should have a device to test it. If your power supply
57 > tests alright, begin removing components from the board to see if you
58 > can get it to post. Remove PCI cards, sticks of RAM, IDE/SATA
59 > connectors, front panel and USB connectors. Everything.
60 >
61 > If you reach the end of this diagnostic process without a single post,
62 > chances are your board is FUBAR and you should replace it.
63 >
64 > Cheers,
65 > D
68 Thanks for the detailed information. I have some news, but it requires
69 me to put on my embarrassed face. The machine wouldn't turn on
70 because...wait for it....I'd pulled out the front panel connector block
71 :P It was difficult to notice until I removed the graphics card because
72 it completely hides it. I know I should have thought to check it.
73
74 Now, on the subject of the audio problem, I am talking with Asus staff
75 who believe it's (wouldn't you believe it) interference. They're smart
76 cookies.
77
78 Anyway, thanks for all the tips, I will be examining the board closely
79 to find the source, but at least I can get my uni assignments in now :)
80
81 Cheers
82
83 Matt