From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HCL web-page
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 08:32:05
1 On Monday, April 20, 2020 2:26:38 AM CEST Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 > > On 04/19/2020 04:11 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > >>> There used to be webpage http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
6 > >>> where use could paste output of: lspci -n
7 > >>>
8 > >>> But is no longer active, did it change?
9 > >>
10 > >> That site seems to be gone. I did find some other info. Maybe one of
11 > >> these links will help replace it.
12 > >>
13 > >> https://www.linuxjournal.com/supportedhardware
14 > >>
15 > >> https://linux-hardware.org/
16 > >>
17 > >> https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
18 > >>
19 > >> https://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility/
20 > >>
21 > >> Each site has its own way. One lists links to distro sites, another
22 > >> probes your system to see if everything is supported, I didn't test
23 > >> that, and others seem to list hardware separated by type, network, video
24 > >> etc etc.
25 > >>
26 > >> I seem to recall using that site long ago. If I recall correctly, it
27 > >> would find the correct kernel drivers etc for each piece of hardware.
28 > >> Certainly made things easier when trying to do a install on a new
29 > >> system. Sad to see it is gone.
30 > >>
31 > >> Dale
32 > >>
33 > >> :-) :-)
34 > >
35 > > I think using: lspci -kn
36 > > will do the trick, it lists the kernel driver in use.
37 >
38 > If I recall correctly, it has to be enabled already for it to show
39 > that. If you have a limited boot media that doesn't support some piece
40 > of hardware, it won't help. It works more to confirm the driver is
41 > loaded than anything. If doing a new install, or more important about to
42 > purchase new hardware, those types of sites can be of real help. Also
43 > true if you run windoze and want to switch or dual boot. I suspect that
44 > site that does the probing thing is for people using windoze but wanting
45 > to switch.
46 >
47 > It works if you already have the right driver enabled tho.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
52
53 If you boot from one of the "enable everything" live distributions, you will
54 find it.
55
56 I miss HCL as well.
59 Joost