From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HCL web-page
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 00:26:50
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 04/19/2020 04:11 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> There used to be webpage http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
5 >>> where use could paste output of: lspci -n
6 >>>
7 >>> But is no longer active, did it change?
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> That site seems to be gone.  I did find some other info.  Maybe one of
12 >> these links will help replace it.
13 >>
14 >> https://www.linuxjournal.com/supportedhardware
15 >>
16 >> https://linux-hardware.org/
17 >>
18 >> https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
19 >>
20 >> https://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility/
21 >>
22 >> Each site has its own way.  One lists links to distro sites, another
23 >> probes your system to see if everything is supported, I didn't test
24 >> that, and others seem to list hardware separated by type, network, video
25 >> etc etc.
26 >>
27 >> I seem to recall using that site long ago.  If I recall correctly, it
28 >> would find the correct kernel drivers etc for each piece of hardware.
29 >> Certainly made things easier when trying to do a install on a new
30 >> system.  Sad to see it is gone.
31 >>
32 >> Dale
33 >>
34 >> :-)  :-)
35 > I think using: lspci -kn
36 > will do the trick, it lists the kernel driver in use.
42 If I recall correctly, it has to be enabled already for it to show
43 that.  If you have a limited boot media that doesn't support some piece
44 of hardware, it won't help.  It works more to confirm the driver is
45 loaded than anything. If doing a new install, or more important about to
46 purchase new hardware, those types of sites can be of real help.  Also
47 true if you run windoze and want to switch or dual boot.  I suspect that
48 site that does the probing thing is for people using windoze but wanting
49 to switch.
50
51 It works if you already have the right driver enabled tho.
52
53 Dale
54